Why Everyone Should Join PRSSA
I originally joined PRSSA because it “helps students interested in public relations and communications enhance their education, broaden their networks and launch their careers in PR” (straight from the PRSSA website). This is true. There is a lot to gain as a member of PRSSA, but its more than just enhancing your education.
Here is a breakdown of why I think everyone should be joining PRSSA.
- Alright, the obvious one: you learn A LOT about PR and the communication industry. You talk about different professions, listen to awesome guest speakers, and take part in real-world exercises to help you figure out if PR is for you and where in the world of PR you fit. Even if you aren’t a PR major, you can still learn useful skills for communicating in a professional environment and learn about the kind of people you could be working with in the future.
- You make all the connections. Part of PRSSA is bringing in guest speakers to talk about the industry. Lucky for us, the people coming in to talk about the industry are usually currently working in the industry. These guest speakers are the perfect opportunity for you to practice your networking skills and find opportunities for internships and employment.
- You build your resume. You can add PRSSA to your resume! It’s a great way to show future employers that you’re serious about the industry and have taken the extra step to learn more. Many chapters (like ours) also have opportunities for you to build your resume in other ways like writing for the chapter blog, doing client work in a student agency, or participating on the executive board.
- You have access to all of PRSSA’s online resources. PRSSA offers its members this whole online resource for you to find internships, scholarships, events, and even catch up on news. They also send out a news letter to active members with updates in the industry.
- You meet amazing people. I knew coming into PRSSA that I would meet professionals, but I had no idea I would meet friends. The people in PRSSA are some of the most open and friendly you will ever meet. You will find common ground with other young professionals by sharing similar ambitions, and you will find a diverse group of people willing to share their passions beyond PR. Most importantly, though, you will find people willing to be your friend. Networking and having connections are awesome, but it’s even better when you can get to know people on a personal level.
So go out and join PRSSA! It provides great experiences and, trust me, it’ll be worth it.