3 Internships You Haven’t Considered
Posted by Jen Probst
Many of us look to large agencies or corporations when it comes to finding the perfect way to gain valuable experience in public relations. But what do you do when those large agencies and corporations are looking for experienced interns? It’s time to look to other outlets to gain some experience before applying to larger firms. Here are a few ideas that you may not have considered:
1. Student Run Agencies: Look to your PRSSA chapter’s student run agency (PRUnleashed here at Boston University). This is a great way to learn the skills needed to work for a legitimate client at your next internship. You not only gain first hand experience, but it is a great environment to test out new ideas and strategies for a client’s needs.
2. University Marketing: A university is just as much a business as any corporation. It is essential that it markets itself positively and effectively. Given all of the different departments on campus, inquire as to whether or not a department that you are interested in offers opportunities for you to help with communication needs. It’s a great way to learn while building your resume.
3. Non-Profit Organizations: Most non-profit organizations have a limited budget. Interning at a non-profit will not only help you gain PR and communication experience, but will also give you the chance to develop your leadership skills. You will also be assigned a number of important duties such as handling social media, helping plan events and campaigning.
Building your resumé early on will help you land larger internships later in your college and professional career due to the experience you will have gained from working for smaller outlets. Just remember that any chance to get experience is a valuable one in helping to grow your career.
Share this post:
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to email (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
About Jen ProbstBoston University Sophomore, Class of 2015. Majoring in Public Relations with interests in Social Media, Entertainment PR, and travel! Twitter: @jenprobst23
Posted on March 26, 2014, in Boston University, Careers, Digital (Social) Media, Internships and tagged experience, Internships, leadership, non-profit, Public Relations, resume, Social Media, university, unleashedpr. Bookmark the permalink. Comments Off on 3 Internships You Haven’t Considered.
Comments are closed.