5 Social Media Guidelines from Mashable’s Meghan Peters
Posted by Jen Weber
Recently, I seized the opportunity to interview Meghan Peters about her job in social media. She works as Community Manager for Mashable, a news website and Internet news blog whose primary focus is social media and technological news. She oversees social media strategy and reader engagement projects.
A job working with social media is relatively new and the industry is continuing to grow. With plenty of experience under her belt, she urges words of advice regarding the social media realm.
Here are 5 straightforward tips from Meghan for achieving success through social media.
- Get experience as early on as you can. Internships are definitely helpful for a number of reasons. You are able to learn a lot from internships about the career field. Also, you are able to establish connections within that organization which is vital to finding job opportunities. When trying to create a network, you never know who someone may know.
- Utilize all social media outlets. To succeed in social media, all platforms must be effectively operated. Engage with anything that is social media. Mashable largely utilizes Twitter, Facebook pages, Tumblr, Foursquare, and StumbleUpon. This creates a large following from all network possibilities and attracts more potential viewers.
- Operating social media effectively. Sharing on social media is huge. However, stories must be properly broadcasted. You have to be proactive rather than purely reactive. Social media optimization is vital to success. Questions or statements are often most effective, as they draw upon the audience to engage with the site rather than simply being passive receivers. Also, when a post is published it should be shared with those interviewed so that they share it with their networks.
- Remain calm. To work in high-paced social media environment can often be stressful. Patience is a must, which is ironic based on how fast-paced the web is. Without patience, frustration is inevitable and you will not be able to carry out a task effectively. Also, adequate social media managing requires you to be able to take criticism with a grain of salt and use it for improvement.
- Professionalism over personal use. Being more professional or loose on media sharing sites such as Twitter is definitely a challenge. However, to be taken seriously and to avoid any potential conflict, 80% of your posting should be professional, leaving 20% for personal use. Be cautious that anyone can see what you’re putting out there just by searching your name on Google.
Meghan Peters serves as young inspiration for aspiring students interested in pursing social media management. Her tips from experience are extremely helpful for students anticipating to focus in a similar career field.
Share this post:
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to email (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
About Jen WeberI am a Boston University COM 2015 student majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Business Administration. Follow my personal blog here: lockupyourthoughts.wordpress.com
Posted on November 22, 2011, in Careers, Digital (Social) Media, Marketing/Communications, Networking, Public Relations and tagged career advice, community management, mashable, mentorship, mentorship month. Bookmark the permalink. Comments Off on 5 Social Media Guidelines from Mashable’s Meghan Peters.
Comments are closed.