Zach Cole’s 3 Tips for Getting Involved as a Student
Posted by Kathryn Napolitano
This a post from our weekly series, Mentorship Month, appearing Tuesdays and Thursdays where BUPRSSA students interview mentors in the PR field.
As a young success in the world of public relations, he urges anyone interested in PR to “Get involved in projects as much as you can. Don’t wait for permission, get your name out, and network.”
Below are some tips to get your name out and get involved before you graduate.
- Gain Experience: Zach says that experience is the most helpful tool for the real world. He gained his own personal experience by beginning a blog and a Twitter account. Experience is everywhere; you just have to get out there. Find what interests you and learn everything you can about it. Experience is what you put on your resume and what ultimately helps in finding future careers.
- Take Initiative: Don’t wait for permission. You’re in charge of yourself. Take initiative on any projects you can. Leadership roles help build strong foundations and show responsibility as well as many other good qualities for those working within the PR world.
- Network: Networking is one of the most important skills for anyone interested in public relations. This is the process of developing contacts and exchanging information to potentially further one’s career. Keeping open contacts is helpful for advancement in the PR field as communication is always key. Getting your name out there is important when networking. Put your name in a positive light and make yourself known.
As a graduate from Emerson College in Boston Massachusetts and an AAE for a company independently leading the way in public relations, Zach is an exemplary young professional to follow for all aspiring students in the field of public relations and communication. Today, Zach’s roles include developing and launching social media campaigns, content creation of campaigns, analytics, and assisting with creative technology research and new business pitches. His own accounts and experience are extremely beneficial to anyone in the PR field looking to head down a similar path.
Share this post:
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to email (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
About Kathryn NapolitanoI'm a junior in the College of Communication at Boston University. I'm interested in all things entertainment and music PR, social media, special events, and sub par reality television. Tweet me @katnap_!
Posted on November 15, 2011, in Careers, Digital (Social) Media, Internships, Networking, Public Relations and tagged advice, careers, edelman digital, mentorship month, networking, silicon valley, zach cole. Bookmark the permalink. Comments Off on Zach Cole’s 3 Tips for Getting Involved as a Student.
Comments are closed.