What is FutureM and 3 Reasons to Participate
Posted by Maurice Rahmey
Register for FutureM here.
With only a few weeks until school starts, plenty of students at BU will be looking at new clubs to check out and join. Besides wanting to obviously let you know about BUPRSSA, I wanted to inform you about an awesome week of events coming to Boston from September 12th-16th: FutureM.
FutureM, hosted by MITX (Massachusetts Innovation and Technology Exchange), is a week long series of events on the future of marketing. Events are held by various companies and agencies in Boston like Hubspot and Hill Holliday and run the gamut from what the future of marketing will be in sports, to the changing definition of media, all the way to networking with CEO’s and hanging out with industry professionals.
Even better is that, if you’re a student, you can attend for free! (Details here)
As a student, you may be thinking, “I’m not a professional yet. Why should I participate in FutureM?” Here are three reasons:
- Learn things you won’t learn in the classroom: As awesome as a lot of our classes are, there are times where we feel selfish and want to just learn about digital media, or sports, or entertainment. There are also times where we may want to learn about specific things like location based services, Facebook or social psychology. For me, I’m really interested in exploring Demand Side Platforms more in depth. The problem is, our classes can’t always feed our hunger to learn these things. That’s where FutureM comes in. There’s a menu of options with at least one thing you’ll be interested in (schedule here). Plus there’s always the added bonus of attending an event, learning something, going back to your class and spewing off some amazing insight that will make your professor look back and wonder “How the heck did you know that?”
- Network with people in the industry (and gain a leg up in your job/internship search): The best part about attending professional events are, hands down, the professionals. They often work for really cool companies and are usually extremely impressed when they see that you, a student, are attending the same panel or event they are. What does this mean for you? A new connection that you can email, meet for coffee, and maybe, even help you find that internship or job you’ve been looking to get. When getting a job it’s not usually what you know, but who you know. Attending FutureM is a great way to help with the “who you know.”
- There are student events too: This year, FutureM is tailoring a few events for students! This is amazing news because you’ll get to meet other people from other colleges in the area and get to participate in programming targeted to our age demographic. Three of the events geared toward students are:
- College Face-off: Like the social media competition we ran the past two years, but this one’s a bit different. You’ll be competing against other schools, not your own classmates! The clients are also going to be Boston based non-profits.
- Tap into Gen-Y: Imagine if you were the panel and you had industry experts and entreprenuers asking you questions. That’s basically what this is.
- Speed Networking (link unavailable): No details of this event have really been released yet, but you can guess what this is probably going to be — networking with professionals for students.
Share this post:
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to email (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
Posted on August 22, 2011, in Digital (Social) Media, Events, Marketing/Communications, Networking, Public Relations and tagged Boston, digital marketing, events, Internships, marketing, networking, new media, Public Relations, Social Media. Bookmark the permalink. Comments Off on What is FutureM and 3 Reasons to Participate.
Comments are closed.