Powers Scholarship Overview
Each year, the Gerald Powers PR Scholarship Committee searches for BU’s next rising star in the field of public relations.
First awarded in 2001, the scholarship is awarded annually to a BU senior in recognition of their achievements and their potential to contribute to the public relations community. The scholarship recipient receives a cash prize and joins the ranks of outstanding students and professionals influenced and helped by COM Professor Emeritus Gerald Powers over the decades.
Scholarship applicants must be graduating BU seniors pursing a career in public relations.
Each applicant must submit a scholarship application. The applications are meant to highlight a candidate’s achievements and include a choice of essays to demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to public relations.
Applications also require the contact information of a professional reference that the committee may contact to learn more about the applicant.
Criteria considered by the selection committee in the review of applications will include:
– Clear intent to pursue a career in public relations
– Academic achievement
– Proven communication skills
– Internships or other relevant experiential learning opportunities
– Reference that illustrates the professional potential of the applicant
– Extra-curricular activities relating to PR
– Completed applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. on April 10, 2009
– Candidates selected for interview will be notified on April 20, 2009
– Interviews will held on April 24, 2009
– The scholarship winner will be notified by May 1, 2009
Since the scholarship is for Seniors and there are a lot of things competing for their attention as the semester goes on, we try to make this available as early as possible.
Here’s the link to the application: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=h5uAKhra39lEZB1Zxw9K7Q_3d_3d
If anyone has questions, please have them e-mail the committee at: